Monday, September 7, 2009

Casting is Complete!!

Welcome to my blog for my Fall 2009 Choreographic Project for the DanceWorks Concert @ The George Washington University. I cannot believe that it's time to choreograph yet another piece. I feel like I was just in rehearsals for my last piece, Coulrophobia: The Ballad of the Clune.

Anywho, auditions were last Thursday, September 3. My demonstrators were Billy Andrews and Lydia Mokdessi. After teaching them the phrase, I felt confident that my work would translate well for the other dancers auditioning for the concert. However, when I performed my phrase in class it felt a little long. I slept on it, and shortened the phrase for the audition.

At auditions, I set the phrase to music by Major Lazer, a really FIERCE mix that I got from my friend a week prior. Everyone seemed to pick up the phrase well, and add personality to it!! I was so impressed with the talent pool at auditions.
I wanted a cast that was full of individuals. I want people to watch my piece and see all different heights, weights, body types, genders, etc. I want a pedestrian cast, such that any person in the audience could watch this piece and relate to at least one of my dancers. I feel that I have accomplished this goal. Without further ado, here is my cast:
-Seniors: Brooke Miller and Remy Tumin
-Juniors: Amanda Pettengill and Tal Schapira
-Sophomores: Billy Andrews, Elyse Iguanti, Lydia Mokdessi, Brooke Schwartz
-Freshmen: Karly Mintz, Ricci Poormon, Sammy Wong

I ended up with a cast of 11 dancers. It sounds daunting, but I am very VERY excited to have such a large number of diverse dancers!! First rehearsal is tomorrow, and I am SO excited!! Look for a video posted after rehearsal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment